Saturday, February 17, 2007

Concepts at the Chicago International Motor Show

Date: 17-Feb-2007
Location: McCormick Place.

Here is the latest edition of my blog, which I am sure none of you must have missed. Well its like, there wasn't any thing worthwhile that I did for last three months. But when it comes to motor shows, I am not the one to miss out. So here is the coverage of the vehicles I liked at the auto show.

I am not putting in the run of the mill 4 door sedans that were displayed at the show. Instead, I will cover the new concept cars that were showcased at the show. Like the one below by Toyota. This one's a hybrid.

And here is the concept showcased by Honda.


Hybrids were a rage at the auto show. All the players came out with a model of their own. Here is one from Honda.


I was half expecting the manufacturers to put on display their Formula 1 machines. Though the idea of showcasing the sports variants is not new, what I didn't realise was the lack of popularity F-1 has in this NASCAR crazy country. Instead the folks had put their NASCAR machines on display like this Toyota Camry.

I saw whats inside these NASCAR machines. Trust me, they are like a box put on a fast moving carts. Nuts and bolts keeping the steering and the seat in place. No electronic gizmos, no fancy buttons or lights, no paddle shift. Did someone say raw power?

Hyundai had put many models and variants on display. The Accent's and Elantra's were all there. Alongside these regular models were these models too. One looked a vintage classic, the other, a futuristic hybrid. My opinion on the latter one... Well, no comments...



What connects the BMW's, Porche's, Lamborghini's and Maserati's? They are the epitome of the German engineering and Italian styles. And there was a great deal of it on display at the auto show.
A BMW sports bike... More I see it, more I want to have it!!!

The stately Maserati!

I am about to fly away... A trademark Lamborghini.

While the Europeans can take pride in their engineering and design, the Americans have their own status symbol. Originally developed for the military as an all terrain vehicle, this monster now has a cult following. Its the one and only Hummer.

Continuing with American vehicles, I came across this monster vehicle by Ford. God (and perhaps Ford) only knows Where will it be used.The tyres have a diameter of about 5 feet. I wonder how will the driver or the passenger climb into it!!!

I saw many concept vehicles from lot of manufacturers at the Chicago Motor Show. But this one takes the crown for being the weirdest. As I wrap up the blog, may I present the fuel cell based platform for future vehicles. It may look weird, but do factor in the chassis that will be mounted in the platform.

With this I wrap up my blog covering the 2007 Chicago Motor Show.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home